Wednesday 13 February 2013

Mid Week Movie - Bill Cunningham New York





Bill Cunningham New York
Director: Richard Press
Zeitgeist Films

Purchase and watch Here: Dogwoof Films

I can't quite understand why it's taken me so long to share this wonderful film. I know most of you have probably watched this already but just in case you haven't this is my favorite fashion documentary.
Lately this film has grown even more as a comfort blanket to me, watching it over and over and over as I try to grasp a little freedom in my work and gain the strength to walk away from the work I have began to hate. As Bill would say 'Don't Sell Out'.

Bill Cunningham is the original street style photographer. Now aged 83 Bill photographs and curates style on the streets of New York and Paris from showing how high end fashion is styled in real life to picking up on micro trends in a certain colour or cut or accessory.
It's all about the clothes. His absolute obsession with clothing and fashion that makes this man the knowledge on costume and dress throughout history. Knowing instantly what a particular cut is a reference to in history and where and when it has been used by a designer.

What's more important is that this man represents true freedom in creativity. Something that I am just realizing the value of. Being able to work at your best without a monkey on your back telling you 'I want it like this' is essential to producing something you can really stand by.

Bill Cunningham lives to photograph beautiful people, he takes little if any money for his work so that he can keep control and stay free. He is kind, modest and the finest gentleman I think exists, someone everyone should look up to.

Here are a few of my favourite quotes from the film ...

On money and creativity.

'If you don't take money, they can't tell you what to do kid' 
'money is the cheapest thing, liberty and freedom is the most expensive' 

This might be a little tricky when you have to survive but the sentiment works when it come to creative work.  

On clothes.

'I'm not interested in the celebrities with their free dresses .... look at the clothes, the cut, the new cut, the colours, that's everything .... Its the CLOTHES ... It's as true today as it ever was. He who seeks beauty will find it'

'we come for your hats not the decor' A Rockerfeller

When I grow up I want to be like Bill. Note to self - work harder at what you love and don't worry about being fancy.