Tuesday 10 March 2015

Movie of the Week - Grey Gardens



The Movie of the week is 'Grey Gardens' 1975 

Where to start? I had heard the words 'Grey Gardens' used a lot and always thought it was a softly spoken, Edwardian drama with Meryl Streep. Oh how wrong I was. 
I can't remember why it hit my radar recently but we rented it and watched it last week. It also happens to be the 40th Anniversary this year of the documentary being made. 

I have been missing Grey Gardens for all of my life, the missing reference has finally clicked into place! 
I don't know how to describe it or what to say about the film other than you have to watch it. It's not great cinematography or even a great documentary quality wise. But if this documentary hadn't been made we would not have met the two Edith Bouvier Beale's. If you are interested in crumbling grandeur and old socialites then this is for you. 
And don't you dare mock them, it's worse than blasphemy. 

Edith Beale aka Little Edie is a real hero and an inspiration. A style icon, a draping queen and the most entertaining would have been star that the world never met. Her story is tragically unfair.

I haven't stopped thinking about Grey Gardens since I watched it. I'm fascinated and obsessed. 
The house, how it was, what it became and what it now is, is all fabulous. Could Little Edie have been 1st Lady? A huge star? Of course. 

Best quote and why I love Little Edith Bouvier Beale ....  "This is the best thing to wear for today, you understand. Because I don't like women in skirts and the best thing is to wear pantyhose or some pants under a short skirt, I think. Then you have the pants under the skirt and then you can pull the stockings up over the pants underneath the skirt. And you can always take off the skirt and use it as a cape. So I think this is the best costume for today."

Heartbreakingly brilliant and a reminder to never EVER, EVER get a cat. 



Little Edie got her chance to shine in the end.