Thursday 20 May 2010

20th May 20's border dress


This gorgeous printed silk and beaded silk arrived today and as it is so fine with a heavy drape, a 20's inspired design it had to be.

One of my favourite designers and inspirations is Jeanne Lanvin, she made these incredible embellished dresses with full skirts and drop waists and created hundreds of sample books full of beading and applique. They are just stunning.


I took the shape of the drop waist and made the bodice a loose bias cut with traditional french seams and low slung arm holes. This could either be worn on its own or with a detailed slip underneath. The skirt is very full with layered nets underneath for support and I tied a ribbon belt to show the true waist.



I am especially pleased with the cascading bows at the back, This is a very simple take on a beautiful silhouette which I will work with more in the future.