Monday 25 August 2014

Vintage Dresses In The Shop - 1950s Suzy Perette Prom Dress

1950s prom dress alexandra king

alexandra king

alexandra king suzy perette

There is a new vintage section in the shop that will be host to some of the most divine pre-1960s vintage dresses in my collection.
I started out selling vintage clothing whilst I was at Uni, it helped with my designing and I learnt so much from vintage dresses. I've really missed the vintage trade so it's time to share some of the drop dead gorgeous finds on the website alongside our new dresses.

The reason I stopped selling vintage and started designing and making was due to the fact that these beautiful dress from the 1950s and earlier were getting harder and harder to find. They were also coming in tattier and tattier and one of my biggest regrets was selling my collection.

The thing with often one of a kind dresses is that once they've gone they've really gone. It's not coming back or being re-stocked.
It's that preciousness I wanted to put into my own work too.

The dress above is an original 1950s Suzy Perette dress is the lightest silk organdy. The original beadwork was falling off, someone did something weird to the waist taking it up and there was a tear on the back. Luckily we also have the skills to restore pieces, so tiny pearls have been added, the tear has been beautifully stitched and the waist put back in the right place. Back to it's full floaty gorgeousness, those circle skirts are really to die for.

It's in the shop here along with some other beauties.