Thursday 10 June 2010

Embroidery and Pleats

This is another dress just completed, which has been taking a lot of my time but it has been well worth every second. 

I wasn't too sure about this commission at first as the bride wanted something a little different to what I usually do. I don't make anything without a fitted waist at the moment and she was looking for an empire line! 

My worries and opinions were swiftly taken away when the bride tried on the dress in her fist fitting. I was a little breath taken as she couldn't have looked any more perfect, she just looked stunning and it suited her whole style. 

It was a  really great opportunity to learn a few new skills and to work with pleats again after a very long time. I brushed up on my embroidery whilst watching a large collection of films and along with the beading this created another labour of love. 

I used a chain stitch in cream and then added the beads and sequins to finish. Vintage rhinestones centred the flowers and added some elegant sparkle that wasn't too shiny!

The pleats were a little tricky to join in the end and was probably the mast challenging part of the dress but the effect they gave as the dress swirled, was just gorgeous. I will be making a few more pleated dresses now as it is very simple to send of skirts to the pleater's and love the sun ray design. I used Ciment Pleating who were really helpful and efficient.

The very best part of making this dress was the reaction of the brides father when he first saw her in the dress, it was everything I could ever want!