Monday 7 September 2015

Trying on the Vintage 1950s Ballgown




Alexandra King Vintage dress



alexandra king vintage dress collection

alexandra king vintage dress collection

alexandra king vintage dress collection

alexandra king vintage dress collection

1959 Frank Usher Vintage Ball Gown.

This is one of the most fabulous dresses I have tried on. When I was first offered this stunning gown by another collector I didn't quite see what the fuss was about. It just looked like a big old ballgown with hoops, hanging there.

I have had a fear of hooped skirts since being in a crit at Uni where I was told the dress, I had stupidly put with a hooped underskirt, was vile. I was mortified! Yes the dress was better without the big old bridal hoop but little did I (or my tutor) know was how amazing a real crinolined gown can feel!
I wish I could go back in time with this beauty and show them how great it can be. They'll still say it's vile. This was the time of Levi twist jeans and clever but oh so dull cutting. Gowns weren't cool.

Anyway, back to the dress. It's rare you get the dress from the magazine advert but this is an original 1959 Frank Usher ballgown using the newly invented Bri-Nylon as seen in the Vogue ad above.
I'm not sure how many of these were made. The internal workings are complicated being made from steel hoops and boning built into heavy muslin foundations. There are the two layers of tulle and then the Bri-Nylon.
My favourite part is the corsages encased in tulle at the neckline, it's so pretty and delicate.

Once I put the gown I felt a real transformation. it felt so incredible and elegant. I couldn't quite fit anywhere with the big hoop so I just stood and posed feeling terribly glamourous.

The dress is really fun to wear and surprisingly comfortable.  It would make a stunning wedding gown. See the dress in more detail and for sale here in the vintage section.